Monday, November 1, 2010

Gate 54

Casablanca! Rio de Janeiro! Beirut!  Nairobi! Bucharest!  I’m sitting at my gate now and hearing these destinations being called out at the Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris. I have a little confession to make, I have this thing for airports - I love them. Alright, I admit there are several nuisances that come along with the whole airport experience, but there's something about airports that stirs thoughts of adventure and escape. This is what intrigues me. Not to mention, it's probably one of the best places to people watch, that is if you're into that sort of thing.
Just looking at the departure monitor, I'm imagining that I could potentially hop on any plane now and be flown to all sorts of exciting and exotic destinations. I love to travel. I don’t think I will get my fill of it, at least not anytime soon. Before I caught the travel bug, the airport was a place to pick up and drop off family and friends. I'd watch intently to the people saying their goodbyes followed by tears and waves, and then hellos, hugs and kisses. It was like a dramatic movie unfolding right in front of me. I still enjoy that aspect of the airport, but what I really love are the big international airports where you see people from all over the world all gathering at a central hub. You never really know who you'll run into or meet.

Only a few more hours at Gate 54 until I'm off on my next adventure....

1 comment: