Sunday, November 7, 2010

7 Days & Counting...


It’s been exactly one week since stepping foot on Paradise Island. I arrived hazily and sleep deprived with minimal direction or expectations.  I felt confident in my ability to adjust reasonably well, but did not imagine it to be such a test to my physical and mental strength.  Although I’ve done several trips to remote locations, I could not understand why I was feeling so unsettled here in my new home.  Could this be what they call culture shock? And if it was, then whatever happened to the honeymoon phase? Wasn’t that supposed to come first?

The first couple of days were the worst and I dreaded the night time since everything completely shuts down at 6pm and there is nothing to do. We were advised not to go outside when it gets dark and to keep the windows closed at all times even though all the windows have bars. With no internet or TV, there was nothing to do in our place but try to sleep, so I’d lie on my rock hard bed with my eyes half closed doing nothing but listening to all the new sounds around me. I was feeling ill at ease here. My living space aired a certain smell of mold or humidity and the anxiety over cockroaches and various other creepy crawlies all attributed to feelings of discomfort. I had already seen large spiders, cockroaches, frogs, large snails, lizards, moths along with a number of strange looking things with heads – so naturally, you can imagine I’d take some precaution when getting into my bed or using the toilet.
I’m happy to report that finally I was able to get an internet connection at home today. (All of my previous blog posts were done on Word and then uploaded later with the date in which I wrote them). I still have not had a hot shower here, so our landlord suggested that we try boiling water and bucket washing as an alternative. I’m warming up to the idea (no pun intended) but I’m hoping that things will improve.  It is impossible to do any sort of laundry during the day since water pressure is quite low and we hang our clothes to dry outside which takes forever due to the humidity. We have yet to use the stove to prepare any meals, but we plan to start making hot meals as of this week.
How was it possible that one week could feel like a month?
I’ve discovered that Mauritius is also known as “Little India” in Africa. I live in the area of Mesnil, a predominately Muslim area with several mosques within short walking distance.  My impressions of Mesnil are well that is quite conservative, feels remote, extremely quiet albeit the barking dogs, roosters, frogs, crickets, the occasional car honk and the call for prayer 5 times a day. You will rarely see anyone walking on the streets past sunset and it is especially rare to see women w all dress conservatively I may add.  We’ve been told that Mesnil is considered one of the safer neighbourhoods, but once the sun sets it becomes quite eerie. Going out just by walking down the street store has been a source of difficulty and without stares and honking. Don’t even think about leaving the house with a skirt or tank top – I think being the only foreigners in this area is enough to draw looks from people.  It’s quite common to see men wearing their prayer hats and chatting together after prayer time at the mosque. Women are not allowed to enter any mosques in Mauritius by the way.
My roommate (I’ll refer to her as Ms. Toronto going forward) has been huge source of comfort and support, without her company the feelings of isolation and loneliness would have been tenfold.  I’ve never lived with a roommate before, but I’m thankful that I have someone that I can talk to and share my experiences with. I’m still woken up every morning by some sound of the call for prayer and barking dogs, although I don’t find it as bothersome anymore. Also, I don’t need to check the bathroom or my room as thoroughly as I used to for spiders, lizards, frogs, moths or cockroaches anymore. I’ve always been one to detect the smallest details and I’m happy to report that the princess in me still lives! I am all but too eager to spray them with the poisonous s - lizards and frogs excluded

In a relatively short period of time, my roommate and I have been able to make some contacts with both expatriates and locals. We’ve met some truly kind hearted people who have opened their homes to us and shared with us their customs, traditions, food and Mauritian hospitality. Speaking French has become second nature to us now and we have yet to understand more Creole.  In our first week, we’ve taken the local transportation on our own, brought groceries, bargained for clothes at the market (in French), checked out local patisseries, set up our mobile phones and attended an overnight beach party.  In light of the personal challenges I’ve faced since my arrival, it has only been 7 short days and things can only get better from here. It’s a new day and a new week, the sun is shining now and it’s off to my first day of work.


No comments:

Post a Comment