Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Road Less Travelled


Utila, Honduras
Since this is my first post, I thought it would be fitting to write something that gives a little insight into who I am.

First off, I am not a writer. In fact, I often dread the thought of writing reports and essays. I've never kept a journal of my thoughts and feelings. Even through my many travels I've made several pitiful attempts at transcribing the events of my journey, only to bring back my notebook with the first few days eagerly documented, followed by a trail of blank pages. Perhaps it's because I've often found it difficult to eloquently express my feelings by means of writing them down. I've endeavoured to try to capture moments with words but at the end felt my descriptions were inadequate. I remember back in elementary school, my father gave me my first Kodak disposable camera to take with me to Grade 6 camp. It was from those early moment that I discovered the thrill of capturing still frames - from the photo taking to the excitement of going to pick up the developed film. (Now doesn't that sound geeky?) The photographs I took became my memories and keepsake - and my love for photography has continued to follow me on every trip I've taken.

Sukhothai, Thailand
Antigua, Guatemala



Having immigrated to Canada at an early age, I was old enough to remember the struggles and challenges my family faced, but young enough to quickly adapt to my new world. The difficulties I faced were numerous - a constant balancing and mixing of two very different cultures. While on the surface it appeared that I was just like any other one of my friends, deep down it was impossible to forget that I was different than my peers.  My cultural awareness and sensitivity has enabled me to easily adapt to new environments and situations. Having to push and challenge myself to reconcile these differences, I was able to conquer my childhood shyness, my hesitation to try new things and my fear of stepping out of my comfort zone. As a result, I've allowed myself to experience new things, which have then given me the opportunity to travel to many places and make connections with people who I may have never met otherwise.  Over the past decade I've had amazing opportunities to develop my passions and interest for travel, music, art and all things extraordinary.

Shouf, Lebanon
I believe that everyone creates their own path in life, whether or not destiny plays a role in your final destination. Throughout your life you are presented with certain choices. How you decide to take on those choices will ultimately shape your future. Looking back at my past I sometimes wonder where I would be right given certain choices I made, whether in school, work or my relationships. I think reflecting on your past is healthy, as long as you're not dwelling on it.


Haifa


My life journey so far has been a collection of many highs and lows, a constant battle with differing ideals and traditions, and a continuous attempt at trying to find my place in a world of opportunities, temptations and limitations. Through it all, I've learned that you simply cannot plan for everything that comes your way and you have to learn to accept yourself, live with humility and be true to your own personal beliefs and values. To live and breathe each day with passion and zeal, an open mind, a pure heart, love and a positive spirit - this is how I strive to live my life, trying to seize every day - living by "carpe diem".
















1 comment: